Sunday, September 29, 2013

High School MTB State Champs and WORS #11

This was the first annual Wisconsin High School State Championships put on by WIN Cycling. My Race was at 12:30 and my sister won the varsity girls race at 10:30. I was racing JV and was hoping to win! We started and I took a immediate lead and stayed there but I stupidly towed around a guy for the whole race and on the last hill he jumped me and took the win. I was doing the actual WORS race the next day so I had not been going very hard but I was still disappointed but it was my own fault.

 The next day we drove the 30 minutes for my 11:30 start, today was a big day and I needed to beat Blake Mezo and win to win the series. Luckily my race yesturday had opened up my legs and I was ready to go! Right of the start I accidentally cut off Blake going into the first corner and he was on my inside so there was nothing I could do with out crashing the whole field. We plowed through the first muddy section and then opened it up on the flats and I passed Nate into first place. I rode off the front for a while until Blake caught back up. My strategy was to just race smart and let him do the work. So I sat on his wheel and drafted and when we got to single track he let me lead and we worked together. He dropped his chain twice but managed to catch back up. We stuck together the whole race and I knew it was going to be a sprint. We came through the last single track section and onto a flat and then we went on to the last climb. I expected him to take off bit he didn't, so I did! Right before the top I made my move and sprinted by him, I knew if I was ahead of him going through the downhill switch backs I would win. So after I sprinted by him I took the six switch back turns as fast as I could and then poured out everything I had to bring it home. It was a amazing race and I was so thrilled to win! Also I got sixth overall in sport out of over 200 riders!


No comments:

Post a Comment