Sunday, September 22, 2013

Trek CXC Cup

First annual Trek CXC Cup! I was so excited for the first major cross race of the season. I was doing Cat 4's and juniors because I wanted to race!
Day 1
Junior 15-18
We drove the 25 min for my 9:15 start and I was ready and warmed up. I pulled the holshot and took the race from there, I did not go hard at all because I was doing the Cat 4's at 1:20. My friend Sam Spende was on my wheel for the first 2 laps until he tried to ride the run up like I was doing and he ended up rolling all the way back down the hill. After that I just soft pedaled to the finish to take my first win of the season.
Cat 4's
I relaxed after the junior race until it was time to get ready for my second race of the day. Luckily I got a first row call up so I didn't have to deal with the 70+ people behind me. The whistle was blown and we took off, I was in second place off the pavement going into the spiral. Right before the run I passed first place so that I could ride the run up. I powered up it and realized I was in first! After being ahead for a little but a group of  four riders caught up to me. I very stupidly lead the group for the next three laps while they drafted off of me and at the beginning of the fourth lap they jumped me on the pavement and pulled away. I ended up fourth place and was very mad at my self for not racing smart but I planned to podium the next day for sure!

Day 2
Sunday I decided to skip the junior race to sleep in and soak my legs in the bath tub I got there in time for my dad's race at 10:45 and started warming up at 12:00. I got my call up and thankfully I was in the front row again. I took my gels and waited for the count down. The whistle blew and we took off I immediately grabbed the lead off the pavement and rode the hill. I was in second going through the barriers but first crashed on the off camber section so I took the lead again. But the guy who got fifth yesterday came up and lead hard for a lap and we thought he was gone but the he started to fade and the guy who won yesterday took off and he was never seen again. I was then riding comfortably in second place and on the third lap I was toying with third and fourth, letting them catch up and then attacking again. But then at the beginning of the fourth lap I slid out on a corner and dropped back to fourth. At the beginning of the fifth lap I had caught back up to third and second and was going to pass third on the run up, but every lap I would ride it and the guy would run it and at the top he would move over on purpose to not let me get the pass. This time he moved all the way over and took me out! I went down hard, got all scraped up and trashed my my right brake lever. I ended up fourth and was super bummed out, and furious at the guy because I had wanted to podium so badly. But I'm gonna get him next time!














No comments:

Post a Comment