Saturday, September 14, 2013

Tread Fest WORS #10




We headed down to Lake Geneva after a great day of cross racing in Sheboygan for some great mountain bike racing. This was WORS #10 of the year and I was ready to win! This course has some monster hills and tons of fantastic single track! It turned out my friends Andy Schmidt and Simon Jones were also racing the Sport category so I was a little worried, I knew Andy would beat me and Simon is incredibly strong on the road but this was his first mountain bike race, so I hoped I could beat him. We took of and I got cut of at the start and didn't get up the start hill in a great position and was in 4th for my age group. We got to the dusty loose decent and Simon, who was in 3rd went down hard and I passed him. I shot of like a rocket trying to catch up to second place, I sprinted out of every corner, chewed my way through the lines of people, sliced up the single track and powered down the flats. Finally  I caught up to him and a group of very fast riders, and on a loose gravel uphill, him and some others stalled out and I sped by them on the very edge of the trail. He then got on my wheel and we worked together for a while until he went down in a corner and dropped his chain. I took off like a rocket and didn't see him again until the beginning of the last lap on the open flat section. He was about 10 seconds back from me on the loose dusty downhill when he yelled up to me and told me he had a flat. I then rode my own race, trying to lap as many riders as I could and have as much fun as possible. It was a great weekend of racing and finished 2nd in my age group and 22nd out of over 200+ starters in the sport category. Thank you to Tread Head Cycling for putting on a great race and thank you to Gary Smits at XTR Photo for the fantastic picture!




No comments:

Post a Comment