Sunday, August 6, 2017

WORS #8 Hixon Forest Epic

A few weeks late but here is my race report from Hixon Forest Epic!

After two chill weeks following MTB Nats it was time to race again! I drove to La Crosse solo and as I got closer and closer I saw ominous rain clouds closing in from the West. So, I set my tire pressure for mud and crossed my fingers hoping for a downpour. Sure enough. 20 minutes before the start it started coming down.


The first lap things were a little slick but the water hadn't soaked in yet. Cole, Isaac Pete, Mark Lalonde and I drilled it on the slightly sloppy course for that first lap. Coming into the second lap the conditions were totally different. The hundred other racers had ripped up the course turning it into a absolute slick, sloppy mud fest. I started that second lap in fourth place a bit behind the lead three and ahead of Pete. Pete caught me at the end of the second lap and we rode together braving the mud that was getting stickier and slower by the second until I made a few mistakes at the end of the third lap and lost his wheel.


Fletcher caught me at the beginning of the fourth and final lap and we rode together until he unfortunately broke his chain with half a lap to go. I rolled in solo happy to finish fifth behind such tough competition.



Two muddy team mates!


Bike doubled in weight throughout the race!


As always, big thanks to all my sponsors, Linear Sport, Trek Bikes, Bontrager, Wheel & Sprocket, Styled Aesthetic, Kettle Moraine Preservation and Restoration, and David Hobbs Honda, as well as Honey Stinger, Mike's Mix, Englewood Grass Farm, Wolf Tooth Components and ESI Grips! Next up will be an Ore to Shore report followed by a Indiana MTB race(DINO).

Lastly, if you haven't already heard, I have been selected to represent Team USA at the Mountain Bike World Championships in Cairns, Australia on September 7th. It is a very costly trip and I am trying to raise funds to help me get there. Please click the link and help if you can! Thank you! https://usacycling.rallyme.com/rallies/8973/sendcalebtoworlds

No comments:

Post a Comment