Friday, August 4, 2017

Cross Country National Championships

After Thursday's big short track race I spent all of Friday just chilling out in the condo, only leaving for an hour to ride in the pouring rain. I felt like I had my lines dialed and felt ready to give it my all on the muddy technical course.

Saturday morning it was business as usual and I was prepped to race at 1:30. Around 10:30 I found out my start was delayed until 2:30. I adjusted accordingly and started my warm at 1:45, and rolled up to the start at 2:15. There I found out the start was delayed and after two thirty minute delays we got called to staging. I got my call up and lined up second row. Adrenaline surged through me as they counted down and blew the whistle. The guy in front of me missed his pedal and I cut to the inside around him. We hammered into the first corner and after that I entered the single track downhill about 7th wheel.


Kevin and Trevor got a slight gap on my group on the first climb and we pursued them at a ruthless pace. On the first lap I was a bit worried about how my race was going to go. My legs weren't quite warmed up yet and I struggled to hold my position on the climbs. Coming into the second lap I started to feel better and more comfortable.


The six of us kept pushing the pace and our group started to shake up a bit. Connor Patton dropped off part way through the second lap after a crash and Calder Wood fell off on the third lap due to cramping.


It was down to me, Gaelen, Nick and Paul. We heard that Trevor had gotten a flat and that we were now fighting for second place! I started to strategically put in efforts where I knew I had advantages, slowly whittling away at my competitors. Gaelen still had plenty of juice going into the fourth lap and layed down the power. Only I stayed on his wheel and we broke away from Nick and Paul. I held on tight as long as I could but got popped part way through that fourth lap.

Photo: Kenny Wehn

Photo: Kenny Wehn

I came into the fifth and final lap in third place knowing someone was hunting me down. Thar someone was Connor Patton. After his gnarly crash early in the race he charged the next three laps fighting back up to us. Unfortunately I didn't have the gas to fend him off, coming into the final steep climb I was completely cracked and Connor rode right by me into third place.

Photo: Kenny Wehn

When I crossed the line I had absolutely nothing left to give, and was completely and totally empty. The course, the conditions, the competitions, were some of the toughest I ever faced.

Photo: Kenny Wehn

It hurt to miss out so narrowly on a bronze medal, but I am still immensely proud of my effort. I know I gave it everything I had and I still ended up fourth, which is my best xc nats finish by a long shot.

Photo: Kenny Wehn

This was a huge break through for me in my racing. It really proved to myself that all the work I have put in has been worth it, which has been incredibly motivating. For some nationals is the end of the mtb season, but I have another WORS race, Ore to Shore and then a full season of collegiate mountain biking with Marian University!

Now time for a few thank yous! First off, thank you to my friends and family for their amazing support and encouragement! Next up, huge thank you to my coach, Joseph Maloney for always helping me push myself and for helping me reach the next level. Next up big thank to all my sponsors, thank you to Linear Sport, Trek Bikes, Bontrager, Wheel & Sprocket, Styled Aesthetic, Kettle Moraine Preservation and Restoration, and David Hobbs Honda, as well as Honey Stinger, Mike's Mix, Englewood Grass Farm, Wolf Tooth Components and ESI Grips!

No comments:

Post a Comment