Saturday, August 12, 2017

Ore to Shore

This is a very late race report but goes the a quick summary!

Nothing beats a fresh pasty! 

I left Friday afternoon with my dad and we drove the 5.5 hours to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan fueled by Yooper pasties.


Saturday we were up early for breakfast and then headed over to Negaunee for packet pick up.
Then I got on the bike and warmed up with my teammate Brian Matter, before crowding into the front row of the 1000 person mass start.


I was quick off the line and settled into the front group quickly. After the road section and first couple of grueling climbs we were down to a total nine riders at the front of the race including riders such as Jeff Hall, Tristan Schouten, Pete Karinen, Brian, and last years winner Jordan Wakeley.

After that selection by mile ten, it was 30+ miles of sitting in the group and suffering with Brian through mud, sand, gravel, fire roads and endless rolling climbs. With five miles to go things started to heat up and I got popped off the front group along with Jordan Wakely. We duked it out until the last 200 yards when I out-sprinted him to take 8th place overall out of nearly 1,000 starters.


Shortly after that I was elated to find out Brian took the win!!! The icing on the cake was some cliff jumping into a frigid Lake Superior in our full kits mid cool-down. Matter and I have had a lot adventures in a lot of different states this year!



Linear Sport Racing Team!

The Trek Top Fuel was the perfect machine for the grueling 48 mile race.


No comments:

Post a Comment