Thursday, August 30, 2018

Ore to Shore

Here is a quick and very late race report coming at you! My family and I drove up to the U.P. Friday morning. Emma, Ben Schmutte and I got out for a quick preride/spin.

Saturday morning we were up early and headed to the start. I lined up front row with my teammate Brian Matter and got ready to suffer! Unfortunately, my potential for a great race was cut short, when my chain exploded eight minutes in. I didn't have a chain tool and was stuck waiting until a kind person threw me one. Another friendly dude from Broken Spoke stopped to help as well and we got me up and running again. At that point, I was 17 minutes behind the leaders in last place(667th) with 40 miles to go.


From there I just buried myself. I worked my way through huge groups of people desperate to catch my sister and help her win the big check. With 9 miles to go I finally caught her and told her to hop on my wheel. She already had a few minute gap on second place so I towed her all the way into the finish. It was pretty special to cross the line with her.







Although my race was shot the weekend was still a blast. I got to race with my sister, go cliff jumping with great friends and spend some time up in the North Woods. This pretty much concludes my "pro" mountain bike season for 2018. Now it is time for collegiate racing and cyclocross! Announcements about cross will be coming soon so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment