Thursday, July 12, 2018

WORS Cup Midwest Championships

WORS Cup! One of the best race weekends of the entire WORS season. Things kicked off on Saturday with the XC race in the afternoon.


Right from the gun we tore down the start straight and kicked up the ski hill almost all the way to the top. I kept a consistent pace and moved into 5th before the descent, and moved into 4th on the way down. I followed Sam Elson for the first lap and came around him going into the second lap chasing after Pete and Cole.

I passed Pete up the climb and started chasing after Cole hard. I brought the gap from 35 seconds down to under 10 but left off just a little too soon, and Cole drifted away again at the start of the third lap.



Pete led the third lap and going into the fourth lap Brian caught us, coming around at full speed. I hopped on his wheel and we took off in pursuit of Cole. Brian pushed it hard while I yo-yoed on and off his wheel for the rest of the lap. In the end Brian finished 10 seconds off Cole and I was 10 seconds behind Brian.


I wish I could have taken that top spot but I was still thrilled with how I raced. I felt super strong and on my game, I felt smooth and fluent in the single track and I had the fitness to put down the power when I needed.

Photo: Danny Marchewka
On Sunday we went full gas into the short track event. Things started off hard and I stayed out of the wind following Daxton. Pete took over the lead for a few laps pushing the pace.
Photo: Danny Marchewka
With four to go Brian went to the front and launched a full out attack. Only Cole and I stuck with him and our little group of three had a gap. Brian led for those two laps and Cole took over for 2nd to last lap. Things hit the fan again on the last lap as Brian floored it again.

Photo: Danny Marchewka
I tried to sneak around on each of the two climbs but just couldn't do it. Going into last finish loop we thought we had it sewed up, but being the savvy racer Cole is, he managed to sneak right around us and take the win. It was a little disappointing but that's racing, and it was still a super fun, fast, hard clean race!

Photo: Danny Marchewka
Next up I leave for nationals in West Virginia on Tuesday. I can't wait to give it everything I've got! Be sure to follow along on my social media for updates.

To finish things off I want to say thank you to my team Linear Sport RT  and to our sponsors: Trek, Bontrager, Wheel & Sprocket, Styled Aesthetic, Kettle Moraine Preservation and Restoration, and David Hobbs Honda. Big thanks as well to my personal sponsors, Englewood Grass Farm, TOGS, Fox Racing Shocks, Honey Stinger, Mike's Mix, Wolf Tooth Components and ESI Grips!

No comments:

Post a Comment