Friday, June 22, 2018

WORS #4 Mt. Morris Challenge

After a solid weekend of racing in Missoula and rest week, I was hoping for another good result this past weekend at WORS #4 (MT. Morris). This is where I did my very first mountain bike race back in 2009, and it's the course that got me hooked! It's pretty old school, tight twisty single track up and around a ski hill with lots of roots and rocks.

GOOOOOO! PC: Danny Marchewka 
I know the course well and was excited to race, but from past experience, I know my body just doesn’t cope well with racing in extreme heat. As I “warmed up” in the 95-degree heat I could tell I was in trouble.

PC: Danny Marchewka 
The start confirmed that. Cole House, Pete Karinen and Ben Senkerik charged ahead for the hole-shot leaving me in fourth like I was standing still. I headed into the lower sandy section in the woods chasing hard but not making up much ground on the front two.

PC: Danny Marchewka 
 I managed to catch up to Ben right before we headed back up the ski hill but when we hit the climb I just didn’t have the legs. Payson Partridge passed me at the top of the climb along with Trysten Schouten. I hopped on Trysten’s wheel and finished out the lap with him.

PC: Danny Marchewka 
Going into the climb on the second lap I passed him back struck out on my own. I knew I just didn’t have the gas, so I set a steady pace hoping to catch up to Ben or Payson.

PC: Danny Marchewka 
I ended up just riding laps 2, 3, and 4 completely solo, chugging water and melting ice socks on my neck like nobody’s business. It wasn’t the result I was looking for but I’m happy to have landed another podium and not have to pull the plug.

PC: Danny Marchewka 
As always thank you to my team Linear Sport RT teammates for helping me stay cool and hydrated and to our sponsors: Trek, Bontrager, Wheel & Sprocket, Styled Aesthetic, Kettle Moraine Preservation and Restoration, and David Hobbs Honda. Big thanks as well to my personal sponsors, Englewood Grass Farm, TOGS, Fox Racing Shocks, Honey Stinger, Mike's Mix, Wolf Tooth Components and ESI Grips.

Next up is WORS #5 in Eau Claire, be sure to follow along on my social media @cswartzz and check back next week for a race report. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment