Thursday, December 22, 2016

Namur World Cup

I've been in Europe for a little over a week so it is time for an update! I arrived Wednesday morning in Brussels along with the other riders, and the mechanics drove us the two-hour drive back to Sittard, NED. After some breakfast and bike building Lane, Ross, Gage and I went for a good little spin finding an awesome castle and an old amphibious WW2 American tank.


The next day we did some skills practice and Friday we all went for a good easy spin together. On Saturday we drove to Namur to preview the famous course which is at a citadel https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citadel_of_Namur. I'd watched the race a few times and knew what to expect but it was amazing to be there and actually ride the course. Right off the line you power up a steep cobble climb followed by a long, technical, rocky descent down to Pit One. Right after that you launch down the first steep drop followed by a gentle climb into another run up and steep drop. Next up is the infamous Namur off-camber, after that there's two more run ups, one more steep drop and finally a long climb back up to the finishing straight. Below is a video I made from my pre-ride.


Pre-ride was awesome and I felt ready to race the awesome course. Unfortunately on the long car ride home I started to feel a little sick. I thought it was just motion sick but when I got home it didn't go away. I suffered in bed for a few hours before losing my lunch and everything else I had eaten that day. I immediately felt a bit better and managed to keep some eggs down before going to bed. I didn't sleep very well and was pretty uncomfortable most of the night. When I woke up at 5:00AM to head to the race I felt completely devoid of energy and appetite. When we got there we hopped on course for two laps before retreating back into the warmth of the vans until it was time to warm up.


After my warm up I worked my way through the crowds of people and over to the start. I lined up third row surprised to have such a decent call up. When the light turned green I charged up the rough cobbles of the first climb with the rest of the juniors. 

I lost a few spots having to dismount and run around the steep first corner to avoid crashes. That first descent was the only time I would pass anyone for the rest of the race, I stayed upright and ripped around crashed riders. When I got to the bottom I passed Pit One in thirtieth place.

Photo: Vic Geerlings
The rest of the race I held my own in the technical sections but lost places left and right on the climbs and straight sections. Not only were my legs totally empty but my entire body felt like a limp noodle. I just absolutely had nothing to give and was helpless as I watched wheels slip away from me. My race lasted 33 minutes, completing only four laps before being waved off the course by the officials. I was grateful to be done but that was overshadowed by the shame and sadness any rider feels when they are pulled from a race for being too far behind the leaders.

Photo: Willem Beerland

Although things didn't go my way it was still an amazing experience and I am grateful to have even made it to the start line. Now I am back to full strength and ready to race the Diegem Superprestige tomorrow!

Huge thank you to USA Cycling for making this trip happen and facilitating everything. Big thanks to my coach Joseph Maloney, my family, and my team, Trek Cyclocross Collective for all the support! Also huge thanks to my sponsors Trek Bicycles, Bontrager, SRAM, Englewood Grass Fed Beef,  Mike's Mix and Honey Stinger for all their awesome support!

1 comment:

  1. Harsh! But amazing that you didn't let it stop you from the race!!

    ReplyDelete