Sunday, December 11, 2016

Major Taylor Cross

After four weeks of hard training it was off to the Major Taylor Cross Cup in Indianapolis. The race took place right at the Indy Cycloplex on the Marian University campus, my future school!

We arrived on Saturday and hopped right on the course. It was super fun with lots cool features and challenging sections. After a few laps and my warm up I toed the line with the rest of the small 17-18 uci field. I took the holeshot and slid back to third wheel. Part way through the first lap, Gunnar from Canada broke away solo. Over the next two lap I put in some work to try and bring him back but it proved to be too much of a gap. I sat on Lane Maher and George Schultz and recovered for a few laps before putting in a big dig on the last lap. George countered my move and brought Lane with him leaving me to finish in fourth place.



Overnight it sprinkled a little bit and the course started to get a little slicker. In the last 30 minutes before my start it absolutely poured, completely changing the course and conditions. This time things stuck together a lot longer. Gunnar had a few issues pushing him back to sixth and we formed a group of five at the front. Unfortunately after Saturday my back tightened up really bad, putting me in a lot of pain. With three laps to go I fell off the front group eventually getting caught by Evan Clouse, pushing me back to finish in sixth place.



Although I had tired legs and a bad back it was still a blast to rip up such a fun course and get muddy. Speaking of mud... I am leaving on Tuesday to head back to Europe! I will be racing the Namur World Cup, Diegem Superprestige and Zolder World Cup, I can't wait! Be sure to follow my adventures on Facebook and on Instagram and Twitter @cswartzz!


Big thanks to my coach Joseph Maloney, my family, and my team, Trek Cyclocross Collective for all the support! Also huge thanks to my sponsors Trek Bicycles, Bontrager, Sram, Englewood Grass Fed Beef, Mike's Mix and Honey Stinger for all their awesome support!

No comments:

Post a Comment