Monday, June 6, 2016

WORS #2 Battle of Camrock

Generally WORS races are every other weekend. This time I had three weeks to train and reflect on what I needed to work on for my home race at Cam Rock County Park near Madison.

With the goal firmly in mind of making the front group, I ate a big breakfast, drove the 25 minutes to the race, warmed up and headed to the start line. Thanks to my finish at Iola, this time I got a call up which meant lining up front row with the big guns. I knew the most important part of the race would be the uphill start. Straight off the line we hit the climb all the way to the top of the course before diving into tight fast single track for the rest if the lap. The front group sets a blistering pace because for those who don't make the cut right off the line, it is usually over.



After the usual awkward staging period Don did the count down and sent us on our way. I was quick off the line and led for the first third of the climb before latching on to the front group. The front three hit it hard through the first single track section putting me in a group of three with Ben Senkerik and Isaac Neff. The rest of that first lap was absolutely brutal! With Isaac trying to close the gap on 4th place, the pace was through the roof along with my heart rate. Unfortunately (and luckily I suppose) Isaac pulled away from us part way through.


Ben and I rode the next three laps together with Casey Griesemer mixing it for a bit before breaking his chain-stay. Towards the end of the third lap I tried to turn the screws on Ben through some of the tight single track that I know very well. I managed to put a few seconds into him but I knew it wasn't going to stick and settled back in behind him. I sat on him uneventfully until we came out of the woods and onto the gravel road section on the fourth and final lap. Ben sat up hard and I suspected something was up. We soft pedaled for a few moments before Ben dropped the hammer and took off. Once again I held his wheel and tried to recover as much as possible before the long twisting final climbs.

Ben kept it pretty tame up the first part, saving his last punch for the short, final open section into the uphill finishing chute. After taking a poor line through the second to last corner I started a few feet off his wheel but managed to win the sprint at the line by a hair, which required some video review to confirm.

Thanks Hank McAlvanah for the pictures!
It was hard and exciting race and I am happy to have moved up another spot from Iola, it was also a big step for me to have made part of the front groups and hold on for dear life! Huge thanks to my coach (JM Coaching), my team, KS Energy Services/Team Wisconsin/MOSH and all our sponsors as well as Mike's Mix, Honey Stinger, ESI Grips and Wolf Tooth Components for all their support. Next up, Mt. Morris WORS #3!

Congrats to Corey Stelljes on his first WORS win!

1 comment:

  1. Your podium stokedness game was stronger at Iola.

    Dope race though. The portion of the race I finished, that course was tougher than I expected.

    ReplyDelete