Friday, November 21, 2014

Jingle Cross 2014

Friday
It was about 25 degrees while I was warming but as the sun went down it dropped down below 10 degrees. I lined up 4th row because we didn't register fast enough and after the category 2s went off we followed. 10 seconds into the race there was a unavoidable crash and I piled on top of it. I untangled my bike after losing about a minute and started chasing. I fought super hard and my whole body was numb from the cold and I basically went on autopilot. I kept moving up the whole race and got all the way up to 6th!

Saturday
Luckily today we were staged by finishing order from the day before so I started first row. I pulled the holeshot and led until the off camber section up top when I had to get off and run by cat 2s we had caught, second place managed to stay on the bike and get a gap. I chased him for two lap and then rode away from him and soloed the last two laps. I was super glad to get the win after such a struggle the night before. I then returned to my hotel room and spun my legs before lying in bed with my legs up for another 4 hours until we went to the pool.

Sunday
After getting 5 inches of snow Saturday night the course was was super slick and sloppy. I was super excited to race in the mess! I warmed up and got my call up, I was second into the first corner and jumped on firsts wheel. I went by Cormac Dunn and led until an off camber section at the end of the lap when somehow my rear break had become unhooked and I had to stop and fix it. I lost about 30 seconds but I laid down some power and managed to catch who I thought the leader was at the beginning of the second lap. We rode together for two laps until I gradually rode away from him. I rode the last two laps by my self but lost a lot of time on the final lap because I couldn't clip in due to the frozen mud in my pedals. I was pumped to get the win but as it turned out one more guy had slipped by me when I was fixing my brake that I didn't know about. I had gone hard until I caught who I thought was leading and then recovered but if i had known there was another guy I would have kept pushing! I super stoked to get the overall cat 3 jersey despite my issues and get some great results at the best race in the US and my favorite race! Huge thanks to my team and team mates as well my dad and Emerys Cycling! Now time for a lot of hard trainer work outs and a few races until nationals.
saturday podium


trying to get the "snowicemud" out of my cleats



day 3 podium

No comments:

Post a Comment