Wednesday, November 13, 2013

The Mud Fund Derby City Cup

This was a fantastic race, the atmosphere the course, the people, the venue, everything! The 2013 Cyclocross World Championships were here in February so that should give you a idea about how amazing the Louisville cyclocross scene is. Last minute I ended up driving to my friends the Schmidts in lake Geneva Thursday night and left early Friday morning for Louisville with them. (My dad and sister came down Saturday morning just in time to bring my pit bike). Andy and I prerode the course and did the Tim Johnson clinic and then went out to eat. We got back to the hotel watched some TV, prepared for the next day, and went to sleep.

I raced at 10:00, we left just before 8:00 so that we would have plenty of time for course recon. I warmed up and went to the start line to get my call up. The whistle was blown and we took off, I was second through the first corner and dropped to third wheel, Nick started to pull away because the guy in second was terrible in the corners and wouldn't let me pass. I finally got around him and caught up to Nick. I jumped him right before the long sand pit, I rode the whole thing and up the bank and when I looked back I had a good thirty second gap, and that was only the first lap. I rode the rest of the race by my self. I finished 1:19 ahead of second place and a 1:30 ahead of the winner of the Cat 4/5 race. I was pretty thrilled!

The next day two older very fast boys decided to do the 15-18 boys. I had the worst start ever and was in 20th place going up the steps. I moved back up to third after nick dropped his chain but Max and Ryan were already to far ahead for me to catch by my self. I could have done better but my back was in agony the whole race and that combined with my bad start made me finish third. It was a fun time down in Louisville and I can't wait for Jingle Cross this coming weekend!




No comments:

Post a Comment