Thursday, February 1, 2018

2018 Cyclocross National Championships - Reno, Nevada

Sorry for the delay on this race report, things got a little bit hectic after missing class and starting my second semester of college the day I got back from Nationals!

The whole Marian squad (16 riders and three coaches) flew out to Reno on Monday the 8th and walked the course in the afternoon. It was nothing spectacular but had stairs, a ditch jump, a sand pit, more stairs, a big hill and some fun off-camber sections. Overall it was a power course but with enough features intermixed to make it fun.  Tuesday we pre-rode and I settled on my Challenge Baby Limus's as the perfect tire for the slick, but not sloppy course. 

Photo: Jason Blodgett
The individual collegiate varsity men's race was at 9:30 on Wednesday morning. I had a front row start but when they blew the whistle, the rider to the left of me swung across the field cutting off half of the front row. On the plus side this opened the door for my Marian teammate Cade to pull the holeshot. I came through the first corner in sixth and moved up into fourth before the short set of stairs. I lost contact with Cade, Henry Nadell and Brannan Fix when I bobbled in the sand pit. For the rest of the first lap and most of the second lap I was stuck dangling about ten seconds off the front group. 


On the third lap Stephan Davoust of Fort Lewis caught me and we worked together for a lap until I started to drop off.  Stephan bridged up to his teammate Henry, while Brannan and Cade dropped back from the front group. Cade and I worked together on the fourth lap in 3rd and 4th place and I established a small gap on the second to last lap and it held until the end to finish in 3rd. Cade ended up 5th and Ben Schmutte ended up 6th rounding out the top three for Marian.


I have been racing Cyclocross National Championships since 2008 and I have been very close to a few podium finishes. This was the first time it all came together and finally happened, making it very special for me and my family.

Photo: Patrick Gordon
On Thursday the collegiate team omnium came down to the 4x4 team relay. To win the championship we had to beat Fort Lewis. Our team was Cade first, Laurel Rathbun second, Emma third, and I was the anchor. It was a lot of pressure, and I was incredibly nervous. Probably more nervous than I have ever been before any other race in my life. What made this race so special was that we were racing for the whole team, they were relying on us to be the very best we could be and bring home the title.

Cade put in a ripper first lap coming through in the lead. Laurel managed to get a gap on her lap coming through in first again. Emma was up against a fast Brevard College male rider who got a gap on her, and she came through in second with a 25 second gap on the third place Fort Lewis rider.

As soon as Emma came around the corner onto the start/finish straight I started rolling, careful to stay behind her until the finish line (if you pass your rider before the line you get a time penalty), and then launched into a full sprint. I hammered out of the first corner and up the false flat into the headwind, nearly nauseous as I dismounted for the stairs. I ran the ditch because I didn't want to risk a big mistake, and then nailed the sandpit and climb up to the belgian steps. Coming into pit two Stephan had closed the gap big time and I knew I had to get on the gas harder.

Photo: Patrick Gordon
I put everything I had into the next few straightaways and off camber sections, finally grinding up the steep hill and around the downhill switchbacks. From there I buried across the little wooden bridge, up the pavement climb and sprinted out of the final corner all the way to the line.

Photo: Patrick Gordon
I ended up finishing seven seconds ahead of Stephen in second place, and managed to close 41 seconds of the 51 second lead Brevard had on us. I was thrilled to have done my part for the team, and it was amazing to take home the overall championship after such a solid team effort.

Photo: Patrick Gordon
Next year (this December) hopefully we can take home the relay championship, it was such a close battle and such a unique style of racing. I can't wait to do it more!

Photo: Patrick Gordon
After all the team excitement Friday was spent recovering on the couch and I got out for an easy spin. Saturday Emma and I did our final course recon and leg openers.

Saturday morning everything went to plan, breakfast, course recon, Emma raced (finished 4th!), warm, and then staging.

Photo: Dave McElwaine
I was second row but didn't have the start I was looking for, getting pushed back into the field. I came through the sandpit in 18th place and looking to move up ASAP. Coming into the second lap the legs were finally going and I worked my way into a big group fighting for the top 12.

Photo: Dave McElwaine
I felt comfortable in the group and made sure not to lose and wheels or work harder than I needed to. Eventually it was down to a group of five rider fighting for the top ten. Coming into the second to last lap I threw down some watts on the false flat after the start straight and got a gap on the group.

Photo: Jeff Curtes
I held the gap but on the start straight coming into the final lap Denzel Stephenson passed me pushing me from ninth to tenth. I was too gassed from the previous lap to hold his wheel but I tried to pace off of him as best I could so the group behind me didn't catch up.

Photo: Jeff Curtes
In the I held off the group and finished in tenth place, 2 seconds behind Lance Haidet (2017 U23 champion) and 8 seconds behind Denzel. It was an extremely tough race, the field was stacked and the course was demanding but I was happy with how I raced. I didn't give up, I played my cards properly and I felt content with the effort I gave and the result I earned. Check out this article put out by Trek for some more insight on my season.

I can't thank my family, friends, coaches, teammates and sponsors enough for making my first U23 nationals one to remember. Special thanks to my team, Trek Cyclocross Collective and my sponsors Trek Bicycles, Bontrager, Sram, Challenge Tires, Honey Stinger, Mike's Mix, and Englewood Grass Farm. 

Lastly thank you for reading and for following along on my adventures this past year, your support means a great deal to me. Mountain bike season is approaching quickly and it is going to be a good one! I will be putting out and announcement about my 2018 mtb season so be sure to keep and eye out for it and follow along on Instagram/Twitter @cswartzz and on Facebook @Caleb Swartz. Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment