Saturday, November 4, 2017

Cincy Cyclocross Festival

Since collegiate mountain biking is over (check back for a Collegiate MTB Nats post soon!) cyclocross season if officially here! It had been over a month since I last raced cross but I was ready to dive back into it.

The course at Devou in Cincinnati was as technical and fun as always, but muddier than it's ever been. I got my lines dialed warmed up and staged towards the back of the start grid. When the official blew the whistle we ripped down the long start straight into the first big chicane. I got bogged down behind people on the inside line but managed to make up some spots through the next few corners by making aggressive passes.


I drifted back a few spots on the first lap and lost a few more on the second lap. I simply wasn't used to ripping around in the mud on a cross bike and wasn't used to that full gas cross effort. On the third lap I found my flow and remembered how to make it hurt like I needed to. My lap time got faster on that third lap and again on the fourth lap but I was stuck in no-mans land and had no-one within sight.


I crossed the line in 23rd place, my best UCI finish yet and it was my first C1 event! I was hoping for a better result but all things considered I'm happy.

Lucky to have so many tread options from Challenge Tires!

On Sunday we were back at Harbin park where I had last raced in 2014. The course was was soggy and slick but tacky in some spots making it a Baby Limus day. Due to random draw I was the very last call up but I made the best of it and lined up the fence so I could move up quickly. Right from the gun I weaved through people and shot up on the outside line with a clear path.


I made passes where I could and felt smooth through the corners. When we got to the short climb to the top of the course I lost quite a few spots and knew I might be in trouble. I managed to gain back a few spots and maintain my position but I could feel something was off with my back.


So coming into the fifth lap I pulled the plug rather than mess with my back anymore. It wasn't the way I was planning on my third UCI race of the year going but it was still a valuable learning experience and I'm excited for Louisville this weekend!

Stoked to rip these beasts again this weekend!
Big thanks to Trek, Bontrager, Sram, Honey Stinger, Mike's Mix, Challenge Tires, and Englewood Grass farm for the support!

No comments:

Post a Comment