Sunday, October 8, 2017

Midwest Collegiate Conference Championships


Time for a an update! After Trek CX Cup I put in a sizable training block to prep for Collegiate MTB Nats and the rest of my cross season. I came in to the Midwest champs a bit tired from the block but excited to compete.

For the short track we raced on our home course at the Indy Cycloplex. Ben Schmutte went out hard and got an early lead. Anders Nystrom and I worked together to chase hard, but I wasn't feeling it quite yet and dropped off. Half way through the short 25 minute race I started to find my groove put down the power to finish strong in 3rd place.


The Men's A's Squad
After my race on Saturday, I was hungry for more in Sunday's XC race. Right from the gun I slotted in second wheel and passed into first when the leader made a mistake. I charged the long first single track section trying to see what kind of damage I could do. When I popped out onto a long two track straight away there were three Marian teammates on my wheel and we had a big gap. We worked together the rest of the lap but on the last long climb Ben started to do some damage and I wasn't recovered enough from earlier efforts to follow.


Anders and I worked together for the next two laps trying to reel Ben back in. On the third lap I tested the waters a little bit with Anders and on the four lap I attacked on a climb halfway through the lap.


I kept charging for the rest of the fourth lap and absolutely emptied the tank on the fifth lap, putting in my fastest lap of the day. I managed to close a thirty second gap in that one lap and almost caught Ben on the line.



Stoked to be a part of this awesome team! I can't thank the coaches and riders enough for making Marian so special! Next check out my write up on how we did at Collegiate MTB Nationals!

No comments:

Post a Comment