Monday, December 26, 2016

Heusden-Zolder World Cup

It was very different to spend Christmas away from my family this past year but at the USAC house in Sittard we made it as festive as possible with a secret Santa gift exchange, pancake breakfast followed by World Cup course preride! 


Monday it was spitting rain as we drove to the course. Us juniors kitted up in the vans before heading out for a quick few laps on the course to dial tire pressure and lines in. Next was warm up before heading to staging. I took a gamble and lined up second row on the far right, knowing I would be pinched off in the first corner unless I had a killer start. Sadly my foot clipped out of my pedal 
and I lost valuable time causing me to be cut off  y other riders in the next two turns.


Near last place I started to move back up through the field. Due to all the traffic I was forced to run many sections that were easily ride-able for the front of the race, putting me a minute down after only one lap in 42nd place.


I felt okay for the next two laps but my back started to tighten up on me causing issues with my hips. I lost power in my left leg and was having a lot of trouble running.


Kurt Van Hout

I slid back quite a few spots and finished in 45th place. I was extremely disappointed because my legs were feeling great and I felt super good on the course. It was not how I wanted to end my trip but the fitness gained would pay off greatly for nationals.


As always big big thanks to my coach Joseph Maloney, my family, and my team, Trek Cyclocross Collective for all the support! Also huge thanks to my sponsors Trek Bicycles, Bontrager, Sram, Englewood Grass Fed Beef,  Mike's Mix and Honey Stinger.

No comments:

Post a Comment